Saturday, May 31, 2008

One hamburger just isn't enough!

www.thelighterweigh.com

My mother told me a very funny story at dinner last night- (by the way, happy 37th anniversary mom and dad). My mother has always made quarter pound hamburgers (of 93% fat-free ground beef, of course) for dinner and my father always eats two burgers on one bun. So last week, my mother simply made him one half pound burger. Well, my father went crazy. "One hamburger just isn't enough for me!" he complained. "I am a grown man and I need to eat two burgers (at least)." My mother tried to explain that eating one half pound burger was the same as eating two quarter pound burgers, but my father would not be satisfied. He was used to seeing two hamburgers on his plate and so he needed that visual in order to feel full. It just goes to show that your appetite can so easily be misled. That is why I recommend eating on smaller plates because it tricks your mind into thinking you are eating more food. I also recommend cutting food into pieces so that you feel like you are eating more. My family all laughed at my father's silliness but the truth is we all fall prey to those feelings. I told my mom that next she should try serving my dad two smaller hamburgers and see if he notices. It may just be that he needs to eat two burgers- regardless of the size.

1 comment:

Tammie said...

Too funny that's what I was thinking. Your Mom should just make his two 1/8 pound burgers ;)