Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Healthy Food Costs More...

It is a fact that healthy food is more expensive than junk food. In fact, a study from the University of Washington looked at the price of eating a 2,000 calorie diet if it consisted solely of junk (~$3.50) versus if it consisted solely of healthful food (~$36.30). What a difference! The disparity is likely because healthy food is perishable whereas junk food can lasts years. But when it comes down to it, there are plenty of other ways to save money. We should not scrimp on the foods we serve our children (or the foods we ourselves eat). I was guilty of this today. I went to a local shop (Kitchen Cabaret). I saw an energy bar for $2.00 and some fresh pineapple for $6.00. I thought to myself, "I am not spending that much on a quick snack" and so I bought the energy bar. But later in the day, as I was talking to a patient about this very subject, I realized that I had broken one of my own rules. Don't look to save money at the expense of your health. It's not worth it. And now the 200 calories of the energy bar are weighing heavily on me- ha, ha!

1 comment:

Tammie said...

Love it! So true, So true! You can't put a price a good health can you?!?!