Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Do not become your child's short order cook

We had low fat (97%) hot dogs for dinner tonight. Actually, I should say that I had low fat (97%) hot dogs for dinner. Even though this is usually one of my children's favorite dinners, tonight they protested. My son wanted me to make him peanut butter and jelly instead. I refused, even though it would have been much easier to give in. Children must eat the healthy dinner that is served to them (as long as it is something they usually like). It is not acceptable for children to insist on eating different foods from the rest of the family. I may have made a different decision if we were eating salmon, since I know my son dislikes salmon. But these are hot dogs! Parents are not short order cooks. Parents can (and should) control their children's food intake- even if it isn't easy. Insist that your children eat healthy foods and they will learn to like them. Remember, it takes 5 - 10 experiences with some foods before children will begin to enjoy them. In this case, however, my son was just trying to be difficult. I did not allow him to take over; I did not make him PB&J. I simply told him that we were having hot dogs for dinner and if he didn't want to eat them, he didn't have to. When he gets hungry enough, I am sure he will settle for the hot dogs. I will let you know what happens. How would you have handled the situation?

1 comment:

Tammie said...

Ok I'm confused are you saying hot dogs are healthy? IMHO I don't care if you have a fat free, turkey, beef, or tofu dog they are simply not healthy. At my house if my kid wanted a PB&J over a hot dog (although we NEVER have those;)he would get it. Of course it would be all natural peanut butter, on 100% whole wheat all good ingredient bread, with probably honey not jam;)

I do agree about the short order cook thing though. But if I make a dinner that my picky kids just doesn't like and he wants an apple instead. Since the apple is just as good if not better for him then the dinner and I don't have to fix anything I happily let him have it. AFTER of course he tastes what I made. ;)