Monday, May 19, 2008

Not all broccoli is healthy!

Okay- so maybe that title is a little sensationalizing- is that even a word? But I am always surprised when people assume vegetables are healthy no matter how they are prepared. One of the nurses in my office told me that a pharmaceutical rep had brought lunch to the office. I never eat at those lunches because they are always insanely unhealthy. But the nurse said to me, "You are going to like it today because it's healthy. There is broccoli." That sounded good to me so I went into the lunch room and saw a tray of chicken with broccoli from a Chinese takeout place. You could see the pools of oil in the tray. I had to laugh- in no way was this dish healthy. In fact, Chinese food is one of the most fattening foods to eat because of all the oil used to cook it. But it just highlighted the fact that many intelligent people don't think about how their food is prepared; they solely look at the nutritional value of the food in the uncooked state. You have to think about what was used to make the food. Was it fried in oil? Is it covered in cheese sauce? Is it topped with butter? If so, it isn't healthy.

Please feel free to ask me questions via the comments. I know you guys are all reading this because I get the numbers reported to me. So ask away. I would love to answer.

No comments: