Monday, May 26, 2008

Where do you keep the butter?

www.thelighterweigh.com

I hope you all enjoyed your Memorial Day weekend. Mine was wonderful... lots of fun with family and lots of barbeques. I had a another family over on Sunday night and my friend and I were in the kitchen, preparing the food, when she asked me, "Where do you keep the butter?". I answered, "I don't keep butter in the house". She looked at me like I was crazy. "What do you mean you don't keep butter in the house?" To me, it seemed perfectly reasonable. "Why would I keep something in the house that I don't want my children to eat? If it isn't in the house, there is no way my husband or nanny can give it to them. And butter is not something that is necessary. So I don't buy it". My friend looked at me and said, "Hmm. that's smart". And I thought, "Yes it is". So I figured I would pass the tip along.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you Dr. Dolgoff for your insightful advice. I've got to admit that I'm lucky that my two boys are good eaters with lots of variety. I found your "butter" posting to be very poignant. My friends ask me all the time how I was able to get my boys to eat so well; not necessarily quantity, but quality. Besides not keeping things in the pantry that I don't want them to eat, I don't cook separate meals for the kids. I'm a full-time mom, not short-order cook. From the time they started eating table food, they were served what my husband & I were eating that night. As a result, they eat well-balanced, healthy meals with a variety of veggies, fruits, grains & protein. Don't get me wrong - there are plenty of times they "don't like it" but they know that they have to try it, and I'm ok with just a few bites. Nobody ever starves in a Jewish household!

Joanna Dolgoff, M.D. said...

It sounds like you have handled your children's eating habits perfectly from the beginning. You need to set firm rules from day one. Keep up the good work!