Thursday, May 22, 2008

A Reader's Question... Picky Eater

www.thelighterweigh.com

I received the following question from a reader:

Dr. Dolgoff,
My five year old son is a very picky eater. He will only eat chicken nuggets and french fries. His doctor told me he is overweight but I can't get him to eat any healthy foods or vegetables. What can I do?
XX

Reader:
Thank you for sending in your question. I hear this all of the time. Parents of toddlers are often worried that their children aren't eating enough. Few parents understand the normal eating patterns of a toddler. It is normal for a toddler to eat one good meal and then just pick for the rest of the day. It is also normal for a child to only want to eat a small number of different foods. As long as these are healthy choices, it doesn't really matter. It is a problem, however, if a child will only eat unhealthy foods.
Your son is five years old so he can only eat the foods that you give him. This puts you at an advantage over parents of older picky eaters. Simply refuse to give him chicken nuggets and french fries. Tell him that he needs to eat something healthier. Then give him a healthy choice (that children usually like). Do not give in to his tantrums. As a parent, it is your responsibility to teach your child to eat healthy foods. Sometimes it takes ten tastes before a child will accept certain foods. Don't give up. If your child refuses to eat, that is okay. But don't give him unhealthy food instead. Your child won't starve if he misses a meal or two. Eventually, when he is hungry enough, he will eat your healthy meal. As for vegetables, aim for a "two bite" rule. Your child must try two bites of a healthy food but does not have to eat the rest. After enough tries, he just may learn to enjoy it.

Please keep your questions coming. You can also let me know if you have any comments about my advice on this question.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Great Blog! I have very picky eaters (3yo & 4yo). I worry about my daughter and the amount of cheese she consumes. She always wants to eat cheese! She won't eat veggies or fruit.
She basically eats yogurt, cheese, milk and peanut butter sandwiches.
I look forward to reading more advice on your blog