Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Shocked at Chili's

www.thelighterweigh.com

I was at Chili's the other day and was completely shocked at what I saw. I cannot believe the size of the lunch plates... and I cannot believe how unhealthy the food is. I observed families (some heavy, some not) digging into plates of bacon cheeseburgers, french fries, and nachos- without giving it a second thought. There didn't seem to be any hesitation about eating these foods that are filled with trans fats, saturated fats, calories, and cholesterol. I watched an 8-year old eat an entire plate of mozzarella sticks- as an appetizer! How could a parent allow their child to eat like that? Even the salads are nightmares.

I ordered shrimp fajitas and asked for unmarinated shrimp. I also asked if the entire dish could be cooked without butter or oil (or as little as possible). I asked for lettuce leaves instead of tortillas and extra guacamole instead of sour cream. When the dish was brought to the table, it was glistening with oil. I asked the server and she said, "We didn't use oil to cook it but the vegetables are premarinated in an oil sauce". PREMARINATED IN AN OIL SAUCE? Even veggies have to be full of oil. I guess it was my fault for eating at a restaurant like that. It just shows you that there are tons of secret ways restaurants stick oil and other unhealthy items into the food. Next time I will order a grilled chicken breast (with Buffalo dipping sauce on the side for an extra kick), a dry baked potato, and some steamed veggies (with no oil). Let's hope that works out better.

The bottom line- beware of eating at restaurants like this. Really quiz your server about what is in your dish. And don't be afraid to ask for substitutions.

5 comments:

Kim said...

I am glad I ran across your blog! Looks like it is full of good information. I am not an adolescent but am an adult struggling to lose some weight. Restaurant eating is very frustrating! Keep up the great blog!

Joanna Dolgoff, M.D. said...

Thanks for your input! I hope you keep reading. Please let me know if you ever have any questions for me.

Anonymous said...

Chili's is the worst. No good salads unless you strip everything off of it. I got sick last time I went.

Erika said...

I have to agree with anonymous. There is a Chili's near where I work and I went in to get a salad once and I couldn't find one that i felt was remotely healthy unless i got rid of half of the things that came on the salad. If a restaurant is going to offer very unhealthy food, at least offer several healthy options for those who care.

Anonymous said...

It is difficult to find healthy food or reasonable portions at many family restaurants like Chili's, Applebee's, etc. At least Chili's provides nutritional information on its website. Other restaurants only offer that info for their "lighter" items, probably because people who care about the nutritional information would be horrified to see how bad the regular menu really is.

I've enjoyed your blog; keep up the good work!