Monday, July 14, 2008

Injecting insulin while eating McDonald's

My children and I stopped at McDonald's for breakfast this morning. We were on the road traveling back home from a weekend away and were stopped in major traffic. The kids were starving and there was nothing else in sight. We each had an Egg McMuffin(at 300 calories each). Not a great breakfast but also not terrible. We finished it off by sharing a fruit, walnut, and yogurt salad.

But I couldn't believe what I saw in that McDonald's. There was a morbidly obese couple eating next to us. They each had ordered two breakfast sandwiches and hash browns. Before eating, the woman pulled out a syringe (of what I am assuming was insulin) and gave herself an injection.

What will it take for some of us to realize that being obese has terrible health consequences? The fact that she needed insulin was not enough to get this woman to stop eating McDonald's. I understand that I don't know the full story of this woman's life, and perhaps she usually eats healthy and was caught in a tough situation, like my family was. But this woman is not alone. Looking around McDonald's, there were many obese families. Something in our society really needs to change before we all eat ourselves to death.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing this story, although it did raise my blood pressure a bit! While we shouldn't judge too harshly, it is not merely the health aspect that bugs me; it's also the cost aspect. Insulin shots are not free and who ends up paying for them? There are good odds that the shots are covered by either a group insurance policy or the government. Thus, it's possible that numerous people who try to live healthily are going to see their premiums rise because this couple can't live without McDonald's. Again, I don't want to appear too judgmental, but no man is an island and that applies to health choices as well.

Liz said...

I agree with the previous poster. In addition, I also think that two breakfast sandwiches and hash browns is a little excessive. One would be plenty.

I think we're in a society where it seems like a little is not enough, even when it is. We live in a nation where there is a television show that boasts the Top 10 Places to Pig Out. Really? THAT is what our society needs? To promote that?

Clearly this is an issue that strikes a chord with me. Thank you, Dr. Dolgroff, for bringing these issues into a brighter light.

Losing Weight: said...

wow...scary! I wish people would take better care of themselves.

Anonymous said...

I agree with Jonathan. It's a public health crisis - that's not going to go away any time soon.

As a former obese person, I do understand shat it's like to be an overeater and have trouble eating healthfully. But if you step out and look at it from a societal perspective, it's irresponsible to not take care of yourself and your children.

Garethadr said...

hey if you dont like the way othe rpeople are, put a gun to your head and pull the trigger, problem solved