Tuesday, July 1, 2008

Apple fries

www.thelighterweigh.com

I just read that Burger King will soon begin selling "apple fries" which are raw apple slices cut in the shape of French fries, served with a low fat caramel dipping sauce. I think it is a great option. I like the idea that they are shaped like fries because although they obviously won't taste like fries, they do simulate the experience of eating a fry- which is important. I hope that fast food restaurants keep coming up with healthier options. I don't understand why they can't use leaner meat for the burgers. And why do they have to fry them in so much oil? Hopefully, they are learning that people will pay for healthier fare. I believe that since restaurant chains are now required to print nutrition info on the menu, people will be much less likely to eat such unhealthy food. It is a lot harder to eat a Whopper when you see that it has 680 calories and 40 grams of fat. I am hoping that these restaurants will look for new ways to make their food healthier so they can show better numbers on the menus. At least this is a start.

1 comment:

Erika said...

I definitely agree that the calorie count on the menus is a huge deterrent when ordering food. Hopefully the healthier options such as the apple fries will get people to realize that fast food doesn't have to be terrible for you.