Friday, July 25, 2008

East Hills, N.Y. is a healthy place to live!

www.thelighterweigh.com

I am proud of East Hills, N.Y. If every town took the steps that East Hills is taking to ensure its children's health, America might be able to pull itself out of this child obesity epidemic.

I was frustrated with the lack of healthy food choices offered at our local pool. After one brief discussion with Mayor Koblenz, the situation was immediately rectified! Plans were already underway to turn the pool lunch cafe over to new management. Just days later, I received a phone call from Jim Zanfardino, owner of Delicacies, a wonderful deli in the town of Roslyn. Delicacies is taking over the lunch cafe and Jim asked to meet with me to set up a healthy menu for the children and adults of East Hills. I then received a phone call from the Mayor himself, making sure that Jim had called me.

Today's meeting was so refreshing. Delicacies Deli was open to every one of my healthy suggestions! They are set to offer grilled cheese sandwiches made with reduced-calorie, whole wheat bread and low-fat cheese, prepared without butter or oil, along with a list of MANY other healthy lunch choices. Delicacies will also offer sliced cucumber, fresh fruit, baked potato chips, and pretzels as side dishes. Desserts will include no sugar added fudgsicles and sugar-free ice pops.

I hope that East Hills can serve as a model for other areas. As Delicacies owner, Jim, put it "it isn't that hard to offer healthy options." So why aren't other delis, pools, and towns taking the time to change their menus? I am not sure. Hopefully, word will get out about the healthy changes at East Hills, prompting others to follow suit.

I want to give my thanks and appreciation to Mayor Michael Koblenz and Delicacies Deli.

I hope that residents of this area will let them know that their committment to our children's health is greatly appreciated. Residents of other communities should talk to their community leaders about what they can do to make healthy changes.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Joanna - every parent should speak up about food choices. I know when I take Tallon and Tiffany places we pack a cooler with healthy snacks - fruit, lf string cheese, baby carrots, etc.

On a different note: Tallon has 18 circles around her neck and on her chest - they are perfect circles and just look like a tanner spot - they are not raised or itch. She went to the NP yesterday and she said it was a fungul infection. I was at work so I didn't go with her and she didn't ask peritinant questions. Are they infectious? Do I need to wash her bed linens in hot water? She said to use selsun blue 2xs week. How long should she use it for and how long to see results? I took pics but the circles are so faint that they didn't come out. I also posted this on our daily thread this morning.

Keep up the great work. I still have to figure out how to post without being Anonymous - I will ask Little Liz. Theresa

Joanna Dolgoff, M.D. said...

Theresa- I will reply to you there! Thanks for posting.