Monday, February 23, 2009

Does skiing burn calories?

www.DrWeigh.com

I just got back from a wonderful week in Vermont. We definitely had a blast- although I wouldn't call it a relaxing vacation. I could still use a week on an island somewhere to unwind! :)

It seems that most of my patients opted to go skiing this week. Before they left, we sat in my office and discussed what would be hard about eating healthy during a ski trip. Without exception, my patients all told me, "Don't worry. I will be burning so many calories skiing so it won't matter if I eat more."

I had my doubts and they were confirmed this week. First, the ski lift lines are endless. Then there is the time sitting in the ski lift. It seems that it takes at least a half hour of waiting before you get your five (maybe 10) minutes of exercise. And even the exercise is not too vigorous. I mean, you're going downhill! Gravity plays a large part! I am not denying that your muscles get sore from skiing. But I don't think your heart rate gets high enough to really count as vigorous exercise.

So, to all my skiing patients out there, you still need to stick to your healthy eating plans while on a ski trip! Skiing is certainly better (in terms of calorie burn) than lying on the beach but it does not give you carte blanche to eat whatever you want!

JUST ONE WEEK UNTIL OUR INTERACTIVE CHILD AND ADOLESCENT WEIGHT LOSS WEBSITE LAUNCHES. YOU WILL SOON BE ABLE TO FOLLOW DR. DOLGOFF'S WEIGH ONLINE FROM ALL OVER THE COUNTRY! I'LL KEEP YOU POSTED.

1 comment: