Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Being tired can make you heavy!

www.DrWeigh.com

A recent study from the University of Chicago showed that people snack more when they are tired. I could have told them that from my own 'study' during my residency! Surprisingly, their study did not show that tired people eat more at mealtimes. Adults who got fewer than 5 hours of sleep consumed 221 more calories from snacks than adults who got more than 8 hours of sleep. The tired eaters also tended to choose a higher percentage of calories from refined carbohydrates.

So- if you can't get a full night sleep, watch your snacking! Make sure you have healthy snacks on hand for when hunger strikes. Your snacks should be a mixture of protein and fiber. Aim to have two snacks a day, each worth 100 - 150 calories.

1 comment:

MaNiC MoMMy™ said...

Hi Joanna--nice to meet you on Tweet! LOL.

I'm going to bed now so I don't snack! Hope I don't eat my pillow!