Friday, January 9, 2009

We have managed to make sushi fattening!

http://www.drweigh.com/

Americans have the ability to take any healthy food and bastardize it into something fattening. We have even managed to ruin sushi.

I had a patient in my office, discussing which types of foods she likes to eat. I was thrilled when she mentioned that she loves sushi. After telling her that sushi is a particularly healthy type of food, I asked her which types she enjoys most. "Oh, I eat everything," she began. "Shrimp tempura rolls, spicy tuna rolls, Philadelphia rolls and Spider rolls." Each of those types of rolls is unhealthy in its own way! Shrimp tempura rolls are fried. Spicy rolls of any kind are made with mayonnaise. Philadelphia rolls contain cream cheese. And Spider rolls are also fried. Hmmm... not one of these rolls is nutritious.

Why have we created these unhealthy options? Sushi should be fish on rice. It's even better when served on brown rice! Don't order your children sushi that contains these fattening ingredients. Instead, opt for rolls that include combinations of fish, cucumber, avocado, and other vegetables. Refuse to order anything tempura, spicy, or with cream cheese. And give brown rice sushi a chance. Brown rice contains fiber which helps to keep your children feeling full longer! They probably won't even notice the difference.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Shoot! I love spicy tuna rolls and spicy salmon rolls! No wonder. Thanks for the insight- I'll guess I'll just use the wasabe to spice it up!

Joanna Dolgoff, M.D. said...

That's a much better idea!

Devin said...

Actually, Alaska rolls are just salmon & avocado... I think you are thinking of Philadelphia rolls when you say creamcheese ;)

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I feel like sashimi (raw fish without the rice) is even healthier, and little kids *love* it - you just have to get them to eat it before they start getting choosy about their foods (in my experience).

Joanna Dolgoff, M.D. said...

Devin-
You are totally correct. I did mean Philadelphia rolls. I am going to try to change that now. Thanks for catching that!

Niche Topics said...

Interesting, thanks for sharing. Sushi can be healthy if eaten in moderation; avoid rolls with mayo and sauces that are sweet (unagi sauce) or creamy. Your safe bet - edo style sushi :)