Monday, January 5, 2009

LIFT Gym

www.DrWeigh.com

I just started referring patients to a new gym in Roslyn, called LIFT. And I am very impressed with it. First, I just love their catchphrase.

Lift: It's a lifestyle, not a competition.

How great is that? So many gyms get that wrong. I hate it when people are at the gym to show off. When I go to the gym, I just want to work out and relax. I can't stand it when everybody around me has their hair done and their makeup perfect. It's a gym- not a meat market!

But this is even more important for children, particularly overweight children. Overweight children need a place to exercise where they do not have to worry about being judged. And LIFT is just that place! It has a great, laid-back vibe. And the owners are always around, monitoring the gym and making sure that everybody is exercising safely. In fact, if they see that someone is performing an exercise incorrectly, they will stop what they are doing to go help the person. It is such a friendly environment.

My advice to parents who don't live near LIFT... shop around until you find a gym with a casual atmosphere. Don't bring your overweight child or teen to the trendiest gym in town. It is much better to find a smaller gym with caring staff. You don't want to have your child intimidated by exercise. Spend some time looking for the perfect gym. It is so very important.

No comments: