Sunday, January 11, 2009

Enough with the celebrity diets!

www.DrWeigh.com

It seems everybody is talking about celebrity diets. Enough already. I don't think that information helps anybody. I bet it would be much easier to lose weight with a personal trainer, a private chef and a personal assistant. Plus, who has time to work out two hours a day? And most of these celebrities use very unhealthy methods. Detox cleanses? Please...

There is no secret to losing weight. Eat less. Exercise more.

My thoughts on the latest diets advertised by Us Weekly and their appropriateness for kids:

The Fresh Diet: High priced meal delivery system based on the Zone philosophy (40% carbs, 30% protein, 30% healthy fat).

Even if you have the cash for this, it doesn't teach you or your child anything about nutrition and making healthy choices. Once you go off the program, you will likely gain the weight back because you haven't learned anything. Plus, your child can't go to playdates and eat with friends. This may work for Paula Abdul, but it is definitely not a child-friendly option.

The Eat-Clean Diet: No sugar, white flour, alcohol and processed foods.

I don't know how long anybody could last on this one. Can you imagine sending your child to a birthday party on this plan? This could never work for a kid. And I don't really think this could work for an adult. It is too restrictive. How about going for moderation instead of total deprivation? Nicole Kidman and Halle Berry are on their own with this one!

Eating in the Raw and The Raw 50: No food cooked above 116 degrees.

Umm... I don't even know what to say about this one. The logic is supposed to be that the uncooked foods contain more enzymes, which may help you lose weight. There is absolutely no science backing this up. How could anybody eat this way for more than a day? I probably couldn't even do it for a day. Demi Moore, Carol Alt and Alicia Silverstone must have more (unnecessary) discipline than I do. No thanks! And I am not even going to address the suitability of this for kids. It's just too ridiculous.

The 5-Factor Diet: Low-glycemic index carbs, low-fat protein, healthy fats, and fiber. Follow it 6 days a week and splurge on day 7.

This is the most reasonable of the lot but is still too restrictive for kids. Children would definitely not be able to eat anything from the school cafeteria and would have a tough time on playdates. Plus kids (and adults) can do major damage on their binge, I mean splurge, day. I would rather teach consistent moderation than six days of deprivation with one day of binging. I guess that Kate Beckinsdale, Eva Mendes, and John Mayer are sure to keep their splurge days in check.

Skinny Bitch in the Kitch: Vegan diet (no animal products, including fish, chicken, and dairy), no caffeine, and no simple carbs. Also no calorie counting.

Well, even the name tells us that this is not appropriate for children. Kids, teens, (and adults) need protein and this diet limits most of the palatable protein choices. Not many kids are content eating beans, nuts, and tofu at each meal and snack. Plus, where is the calcium coming from? Natalie Portman and Pamela Anderson must be eating lots of green, leafy veggies or they will have issues with osteoporosis in the future!

Let's stop this trendy fad diets. Watch portion size, make healthy food choices, and exercise.

Not sure how to teach this to your children? Go to http://www.DrWeigh.com to learn more. Our interactive website launches next month!



You do not need to give up entire food groups to lose weight.

14 comments:

Tosca Reno said...

Good Morning!

Thank you for taking the time to at least review my Eat Clean lilfestyle. I admire a woman with a passion. I think you give me too much credit - I am no celebrity.

That being said I will add that it is hard to argue with good results. All families who chose to Eat Clean and avoid sugar and processed foods notice favorable changes. Children are less agitated, present with less mood changes, have fewer or no night terrors, are calmer in the classroom, have improved mental clarity and improved sleep quality.

You suggest that most kids can't survive on the Eat Clean lifestyle I recommend. I suggest that most kids can't survive on the traditional North American diet we see today. To wit, increased obesity and overweight rates, increased diabetes in all its' forms and I could go on.

I feel like a million bucks and I have not been sick in 10 years. Must be the Clean food I am eating!

Respectfully,
Tosca Reno

Anonymous said...

I doubt that we are meant to survive on processed, additive, chemical laden food. I have adopted an eat clean lifestyle and have dropped almost 12lbs in 3 months after struggling for 9 years to try to drop 10lbs. My family is rarely sick because of how we eat. Do we eat the odd treat, you bet. Do we eat mostly clean, you bet.

Don't knock it until you try it. Ask anyone who has adopted a clean lifestyle how much weight they've lost, how they feel and how sick they get....the results will astonish you!

Helen

Anonymous said...

You know what gets me...the last line:

Quote: Let's stop this trendy fad diets. Watch portion size, make healthy food choices, and exercise.

Eat clean is exactly that. Watch portions, healthy food (which means real, unprocessed food) and exercise.

Go figure!!

Helen

Everyday Superhero said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Stephanie said...

If you start your children off eating clean, then they learn to make good, healthy choices on their own. We can't expect our children to be perfect, nor deny them birthday cake! That's silly! But we can raise them in a healthy food environment rich in veggies, whole grains and lean protein. The Eat Clean lifestyle is amazing! Please read up on Tosca Reno's philosophy to understand it more.

Anonymous said...

Eating Clean is not depriving yourself of anything. By changing my diet from fast food and processed foods to eating a healthy diet of veggies, fruits, whole grains and lean meat + exercising. I have loss weight (36lbs) so far but more importantly I have lost body fat especially around my middle. I have no more migraine headaches, fatigue, feelings of depression or adult acne. Eating Clean is not some fad diet it is a lifestyle that gives you a healthy body and an awesome life filled with energy, great looking skin and emotional spirits that soar. Your children copy all our habits as parents. Isn't worth it to let them copy healthy eating habits.

ChileChick said...

"Eating Clean" really isn't a diet. It's a healthy way of eating. There's not a trendy thing about that when you think about it. Eating healthy shouldn't be considered deprivation...it's something wonderful that we do for our health! :-)

Unknown said...

Hello

My family has adopted "clean eating" and now my children know what are good choices and what are bad choices and what are treats. The get excited about helping pack their balanced, healthy lunches and planning meals.

A "birthday party" would be a treat. But yes those treats are in moderation, infact if I think back to the last birthday party my daughter attended, she felt sick and tired and cranky at the end of it.

Maybe if we as a generation decided that our children deserve health and well being, we wouldn’t serve these high sugar items at any party and make healthy alternatives. There are plenty of these in Tosca’s cookbook, even cupcakes.

I feel our job as parents is to educate our children and ourselves how to eat the healthiest possible foods to ensure good health through adolescence and adulthood.

While I do agree with you that it is unhealthy to eliminate food groups, sugar, white flour, processed foods and alcohol do not fall into my healthy food groups.
Not that I never have a glass of red wine now and then, I reserve it for a special occasion. And you are right there is no secret to losing weight, eat less and exercise more, but even people who do Dr supervised programs need guidance and help in making the healthy choices. That’s what Tosca does for so many of us, at a fraction of the cost with so much free support.

I have tried them all before, but to be honest, this is the only one my family can all do and all eat foods we love and feel satisfied. The newest “Eat Clean for Kids” has my children helping in the menu planning and they are enjoying it. These changes did not come without challenges, but to me they will all be worth it in the end.

I worry when I think of the stressed out healthcare system we are faced with already and to think of what it will be like when my children are grown adults.

I am very proud of our lifestyle and in fact, that's what clean eating is, a lifestyle. And to note I am one of those women who work out 1 - 2 hours a day, I just get up at 5am, long before my family does at 7am, as well as work full-time…anyone has the power within to do whatever it is they desire to do, you just make the time.

My only question of you Dr.; have you read all of the books, front to back?
In good health,
Kara

Anonymous said...

Tosca Reno is a celebrity simply because she overcame obesity and beat the odds by EATING CLEAN.

The Eat Clean "Diet" is founded on good basic nutrition. Eating foods that are high in nutritients are the premise of this lifestyle.

To assume that children could not follow this is to say the parents are not prepared to provide these foods to their children. Remember for most of a young child's life it is the parent who is in control of what goes in their mouth.

My suggestion to you is to do the research, read the book, follow up with those who believe in this lifestyle and then speak your mind about it....

It works and there are millions of women, men and children to prove it.

MCSarah said...

I too am on the Eat Clean Diet, and it has helped me keep off the 35 pounds I lost almost three years ago. Your "too restrictive" claim leaves me baffled. I feel like I have the variety of nature to keep me satisfied with the food choices I make every day. Sure, I can't go select a bag of one of the many varieties of potato chips, but if I know if I did my body couldn't handle the overly processed "stuff" that resides within.

I love what I eat, I get so excited about a bowl of oatmeal, or a fresh piece of fruit! I know that eating clean is what has led me to be live a fabulous, energetic lifestyle, filled with amazing food (just check out Tosca's cookbook! In fact I'm having her "Slow-Cooker Chestnut Stew" today for lunch! Yum!)

Anonymous said...

The Eat Clean Diet, which I do not believe should be considered a "Diet", is actually just how we as humans are supposed to be eating. Those of you who feel that it is OK to shove McDonald's, Luchables and BK down our kids throats need to think about it for a half a second before making that decision. All you are doing with that is enabling those who are getting rich off of your kids bad eating habits and ever increasing health and ADD issues. These issues were not around when McDonald's wasn't!

Joanna Dolgoff, M.D. said...

Wow! Thanks for your comments. Perhaps in my attempt to limit the length of my blog, I did not give the Eat Clean Lifestyle enough attention or credit. I absolutely advocate eating healthy, natural food. I was more referring to the idea of 'only' eating that kind of food and 'never' allowing a child to eat a treat. While the diet is obviously very healthy, I wonder how many parents in our country would be willing or able to follow it. I really admire all of you for choosing to give your children such healthy foods! I apologize if I offended any of you. I definitely advocate any lifestyle that encourages healthy eating! Keep up the good work! Your children are very lucky.

Anonymous said...

Thanks to the Dr. for responding to the resounding feedback on the Eat Clean Lifestyle. As a mom, it's me that makes the effort in my home. I bake Tosca's cookies, muffins, breads and I make the soups, stews and omelets to feed to my family. Sometimes they like things, sometimes not. It's my effort and they are my experiments. All in all, my husband and son eat healthier than ever. My son is less moody and my husband has lost 14lbs just by changing a few things. I have lost almost 12lbs and gotten rid of a belly I thought I was born with. Eating clean is an effort. It's not 100% all the time, but it's 80/20% of the time. That's the changes I like. That's the lifestyle we can live with and the benefits are amazing. Thank you to Tosca for changing my life and helping to educate me. She's a good woman!!

Helen

Mrs. ChildFun said...

When you give small kids healthy foods like in the clean diet, you are giving them the greatest gift you can! My daughter at first whined when I threw away all out junk food, but now, she squeals with delight if she is the first one to open a box of blueberries, and she about killed her brother for eating the last slice of Ezekiel bread! The eat clean diet is extremely livable and easy to do...