Friday, January 2, 2009

My son put it perfectly...

www.DrWeigh.com

Happy New Year everybody! I hope you all enjoyed your holidays without indulging too much. I will admit that I wasn't as good as I could have been but I am looking forward to getting back on track now that things are back to normal.

I did make a New Year's Resolution... I will blog more often. I know you all are reading this and checking it often- so I will make sure I get here more frequently.

I finished filming a segment for the 10 pm news on Channel 11 that will air tonight (do you like how I threw that plug in there?) and decided to treat my kids with frozen yogurt. They were thrilled when I walked in the door! We all sat down and began to eat. About one quarter of the way through, Zachary (my 6 year old) looked at me with such a sad look on his face. "Mommy", he said. "My tummy is telling me that I am full but I really want to eat this! What should I do?"

Well- isn't that the question that we all struggle with? We know that we are full but the food looks so good. What do we do?

I said to Zachary, "What do you think you should do?" He looked at me and said, "I should probably put it in the freezer and eat the rest tomorrow." "That's a great idea!" I told him. And that is what he did.

This is an important lesson to teach to your children. The next time you think that your children are eating because the food tastes good (and not because they are full), talk about it. Explain that our bellies hurt when we eat after we are full- and that it is not healthy. Tell them that they can save the yummy food for later. Always give them the option of taking food home so they don't think it is a now or never situation!

Wouldn't it be great if they could learn that lesson when they are younger so it becomes an ingrained habit? Start teaching your children healthy habits from a young age so that healthy choices become second nature!

And just so you don't think that my kids are perfect- as soon as we put his yogurt in the freezer, he turned to me and asked, "Now that I didn't finish the frozen yogurt, can I have a few Hershey's Kisses?" WHAT? "No," I answered. "That defeats the whole purpose!!!" I guess we all have more work to do!

No comments: