Saturday, June 7, 2008

Will kids eat carrots with hummus?

www.thelighterweigh.com

We had friends over for a barbeque tonight and I put out a nice spread of food. I had a vegetable platter of baby carrots, bell peppers, and baby tomatoes with a hummus dip. I also prepared a fruit tray of pineapple, watermelon, oranges, grapes, and cherries. I could not keep my kids away from the table. Surprisingly, they spent a lot of time around the veggies- particularly the carrots and the hummus. I am sure that if I had other junk food on the table (chips, cookies, crackers), then my kids would have been eating that stuff. But since I kept all the options healthy, they took advantage of what was there. Try it the next time you have guests over; just put out healthy fruits and vegetables and see what happens. I bet (after some initial grumbling)you will be pleasantly surprised.

2 comments:

Cat said...

Dr. Dolgoff is right! I am a very, very picky eater and when my friends insisted that I try hummus because I would love it, I was a bit skeptical. However, since the first time i tried it I have not been able to keep myself from eating it! It is so good and I definitely recommend this to parents that are trying to keep in mind a healthy substitution to junk food!

Tammie said...

Love it, love it, love it! Ok you are probably tired of my comments, can you tell i'm enjoying your blog;) But this is so true, if they only have good options they are going to eat good! And usually you and they are pleasantly surprised how much everyone enjoys it!