Friday, June 6, 2008

Are turkey burgers really that healthy?

www.thelighterweigh.com

I was at a barbeque tonight and noticed many people making a very common mistake. The hosts were serving hamburgers and turkey burgers. The hamburgers were made from 93% fat-free ground beef and the turkey burgers were regular turkey burgers. All of the women chose the turkey burgers because they were "dieting". What they didn't know was that turkey burgers have more fat and more calories than 93% fat-free ground beef. In fact, even all white meat turkey burgers have more fat than 93% fat-free ground beef. I counsel all of my patients about the benefits of this extra lean meat. It is so yummy and also healthy. So I enjoyed my burger while the other women suffered through their turkey burgers! It is not often that the tastier food is also the healthier choice!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

HAHA! This made me laugh a little bit.. its funny how everyone seems to need some kind of nutrition counseling, not just children...

Joanna Dolgoff, M.D. said...

It's so true! Thanks for writing.