Friday, September 26, 2008

My child MUST eat McDonalds!?!

www.drweigh.com

As shocking as this may be, some mothers are insisting that their children be allowed to eat McDonalds for lunch during school. The Roslyn Middle School principal told the district Health and Safety Committee that each day at lunch, many mothers drive to the school to drop off fast food for their children to eat at lunchtime. What? I can't imagine being so insistent that my child eat something so unhealthy for lunch that I would stop what I am doing during the day, drive to a fast food restaurant, wait on line, and then drive the food to school. And for what? So my child wouldn't have to eat a turkey sandwich for lunch?

The Middle School will be sending home a note explaining that parents may not drop off store-bought lunches in the middle of the day. But what I think is more concerning is that these parents don't realize how harmful this food is for their children. It's one thing to bring a child to Burger King as a treat (although I don't actually do this with my kids). But it's quite another to make sure that this food is a staple of their diet and to go through so much effort to make sure they have constant access to it.

Moms- regardless of the changes made in our school lunch system, nothing beats a brown bag lunch. When you make your child's lunch, you are in complete control of what they are eating. Let's bring back the turkey sandwich.

My ideal school lunch: 2 slices of reduced-calorie whole wheat bread
6 slices of turkey breast, 5 slices of roast beef, OR 4 slices of ham
1 slice of fat-free cheese

1 yogurt or 1 piece of string cheese

100 calorie pack of something yummy

water or crystal light

2 comments:

Tammie said...

Great, great post! I know some moms that pack popcorn, fruit like an apple or banana, carrott or celery sticks with some sort of dip and a 100% juice or water and their kids love it! They eat it better then hey would a happy meal! I think it would actually take much less time too! The lady at the link below also looks like she has some great ideas for kids lunches too! http://veganlunchbox.blogspot.com/

Joanna Dolgoff, M.D. said...

Thanks! I will check it out.