Monday, September 29, 2008

How to survive a holiday dinner.

www.drweigh.com

The Jewish Holidays are here again. Those of you who celebrate them know what that means- LOTS OF FOOD! How can you enjoy this holiday (or any holiday) without gaining weight? It is a struggle, especially if you have family pushing unhealthy dishes on you.

I will share my survival strategy. I pick my favorite unhealthy dish and make sure that I eat a reasonable portion of it. Knowing that I will be able to indulge in something wonderful makes it easier to pass on the less-wonderful, but still tasty, dishes.

I love noodle kugel. My grandmother used to make the best kugel and although nobody's can compare to hers, I still do love it! So I will be eating noodle kugel at my Rosh Hashana dinner. I will not, however, be eating brisket this year. I really enjoy brisket, but not as much as noodle kugel. So I will resist the the brisket in an effort to keep my calorie intake in control. I will also pass on the other fattening foods and concentrate on the (few) healthy options available. I will have turkey and vegetables with my noodle kugel.

The same goes for dessert. Offer to bring fruit salad to your dinner, even if the host doesn't ask you to. This way you can ensure that there will be a healthy dessert option. Don't waste calories on desserts that you can eat any time. So pass on those store-bought brownies and cookies. Instead, opt for the desserts you don't often get to eat. I am going to have a (small) piece of my Aunt Robin's famous brownies. They are decadent and she doesn't make them often. And I will enjoy every bite!

L' Shana Tovah!

2 comments:

Jamie Smith said...

What should I do about halloween?
I know that my daughter loves to go trick or treating with her friends. Every year I throw out some of her candy without her knowing.
What else should I do???????

Joanna Dolgoff, M.D. said...

I happen to have a sweet spot for Halloween. It is my favorite holiday. I love to get dressed up and just act silly. In my house, I feed my kids a healthy meal and then allow them to go trick-or-treating. I let them eat the candy while we are trick-or-treating, without restrictions. Then, when we get home, I throw it all away. This way they can indulge but it is for a short amount of time. They get to enjoy the holiday and feel free, without restrictions. And I know that it is only for a short time. And it is only once a year!