Monday, August 18, 2008

Everything in Moderation, Including Moderation

www.thelighterweigh.com

A patient came into my office last week, extremely upset. She had been following the plan perfectly for a month and had lost an incredible six pounds already. But she went to a party this week and, according to the patient, 'totally blew it'. She was practically in tears. After calming her down, we discussed the party in more detail. Although she was out of 'red lights', she ate two large cookies. I asked her if they tasted good. She looked at me in surprise. "Yes," she said. "They were delicious." So I told her the only thing I was upset about was that she was feeling guilty about it. I explained that healthy eating is a lifestyle change- not a short term deal. In order to keep this up for the long term, we have to allow ourselves some wiggle room. Nobody can be perfect all of the time- and even if we could, what fun would that be? I am a realist. If we aim for perfection, we are guaranteed to fail. I told my patient that I am proud that she ate two cookies and then immediately returned to her healthy eating. That is the key to success. As my mother always says, 'Everything in moderation, including moderation'.

By the way- she lost two more pounds last week, despite eating the cookies. She was shocked and thrilled- and so was I.

2 comments:

Liz said...

Great advice Dr. D!!!!

Tammie said...

How cool is that! Kids should so not have to be worrying about being on a diet! If we all had a little different mentality and could teach our kids about REAL health choices not diet fads then I don't think they would have the addictions and cravings to begin with. It took me quite a while but I now eat whatever I want whenever I want. The freeing thing is that because I learned what was truly healhty choices my body gets mad at me when It doesn't get enough of the really good stuff. To me it's a win, win! And the bad stuff is not near the temptation!