Monday, October 6, 2008

Indulging with thought

www.DrWeigh.com

I am usually a very healthy eater. But every now and again, cravings strike. When I first sense a craving coming on, I sit with it. Very often, it passes. Last night, it did not pass. In fact, I felt it growing stronger and stronger. And since I usually am able to wait them out, when my cravings get that strong, I indulge. I know that if I do not indulge these cravings, they will overwhelm me. I would estimate that I give in like this every three or four months. Last night, I indulged.

Doug, my husband, is very familiar with these cycles. All I have to do is look at him and say, "It's time" and he says to the kids, "C'mon guys, we're going to Friendly's." My Friendly's decadence is always the same. I am actually embarrassed to write it... but I want to be honest with everybody. I order fried clams with well-done French fries and then a Reese's Peanut Butter Cup Sundae. DELICIOUS!!

But I did feast with thought. The clams were incredible but the French fries were just good. I was not going to waste calories on good so I pushed them to the side of my plate and decided not to eat them. Had the fries been amazing, I would have eaten them. I ate the clams slowly, really tasting each bite. I noticed the sensations on my tongue and paid attention to the crunch. I got most of the way through the clams and felt myself getting full. So I stopped eating. I did not want to get too full to enjoy the ice cream. I ordered my sundae with extra fudge and extra peanut butter sauce because if I was going to do it, I was going to do it right! It was incredible. But halfway through, I realized that I was getting too full. And I hate that stuffed feeling. I felt so conflicted. I so rarely eat like this and I didn't want to stop eating. But I knew that I would regret it if I overdid it. So I put my spoon down. And I stopped eating. And that was that. I really enjoyed myself. And I woke up this morning ready to enjoy the healthy fare I usually eat.

It was interesting to watch my children at Friendly's. I watch what they eat carefully but they do have junky food in moderation. They were thrilled to be at Friendly's. Zachary said, "Daddy, I can order anything I want... even chicken nuggets and French fries." But when our meals came, Zachary and Danielle each ate only half of their order. And they did the same with their sundaes. They ate half and then told me that they were full. I was very proud. They indulged the same way that I did. They ate what they wanted and stopped when they were full.

Like my mom always says, "Everything in moderation, including moderation!"

2 comments:

Devin said...

Mmmmmm Friendly's ice cream sundae! I'm glad you posted this entry - it's comforting to know that it's okay to give into your cravings once in a while as long as you're mindful of it and don't overdo it.

Devin said...

Hey Joanna, I just wrote a blog about the awful "Sweet Surprise" commercials defending high fructose corn syrup: http://thekbuzz-thekisforkerpen.blogspot.com/ <--If you haven't seen these commercials yet, you should definitely take a look and either way I'd apprecaite your thoughts on it! =)