Thursday, February 21, 2008

Even Weight Loss Doctors Struggle...

Even weight loss doctors struggle with nutrition. I went to a dinner party at a family-style Italian restaurant last night with a bunch of friends. We ordered salad (and I asked for the dressing and cheese on the side) and I ordered whole wheat pasta with grilled chicken. I asked for them to use no oil when preparing my meal. Well- when the plate came, it was floating in grease. I complained to the waiter and he told me, "We didn't use any oil, like you asked. Instead, the chef substituted butter." It was very frustrating- but I nicely sent it back and asked for it to be made without butter or oil. Of course, when dessert came, I ate my fair share. But I would rather use my calories for dessert rather than for butter or oil. It is all about moderation.

A new article came out yesterday about parents and overweight teens. The article states that most parents of obese teens do not realize that their children are overweight. I have to say that I am not surprised at all. In my own practice, some of my heaviest patients don't initially believe that they need to lose weight. And as a general pediatrician, I had some parents upset when I suggested that their (very obese) child needed to lose weight. I think we all see what we want to see- but as parents, we are obligated to remove the blinders. Obesity is not about looks- it is about health. We really need to confront the issue- ignoring it won't help. Many pediatricians are wary of discussing weight with their patients because they don't want to upset them. But you cause many more problems- both physical and psychological- by ignoring obesity. As a nation, we must open up an honest diaglogue about this disease and remove the stigma associated with it. The worst thing a parent can do for an overweight child is avoid the discussion. Please- if you have an overweight child at home- intervene. Let your child know that you will support them in their efforts to get healthier. It can only help.

No comments: